Friday, August 1, 2014

August 1 Progress

Current Reading:

Track 1: HOD as a Core Model by John Steel and Hugh Woodin
Track 2: Large Cardinals from Determinacy by Hugh Woodin
Track 3: Invariant Descriptive Set Theory by Su Gao
Track 4: An Introduction to Core Model Theory by John Steel
Pop Math: Infinitesimal by Amir Alexander

More of the same on tracks 1,2, and 4. For track 3, the chapter on countable equivalence relations started out with a bang. Countable Borel equivalence relations are generated by countable Borel actions, and that leads to the fascinating marker theorem. I am excited to see what comes next. After reading "Infinitesimal" a bit more, I am afraid I would have been on the side of people who thought that the proto calculus being done was nonsense. Its clearly more powerful, but Toricelli has lines being composed of different infinitesimal width, which just sounds like a terrible way to go about things. It is fascinating, however, to see more of the background that Newton and Leibniz were working in.

Again, there was a lack of posting due to travel, though this time was for pleasure and highly necessary. Its looking like I will have to travel again in August as my father is moving to Korea at the end of October. Maybe I can get a good three day weekend. Because it is the start of my fifth year I no longer am receiving my initial tuition scholarship, but fortunately my department offered me a new tuition scholarship. I have one more month until the school year starts, so its looking like I will be able to completely finish almost all of my projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment